Milwaukee Curling Club
The origins of curling date back to the 16th century in Scotland, where the game was played on frozen lochs and ponds. Scottish immigrants brought the game with them to North America, where it quickly spread across the northern United States and Canada. Settlers began curling on the frozen Milwaukee River in the early 1840's and officially formed the Milwaukee Curling Club (MCC) in 1845.
The modern game of curling evolved rapidly during the 1900's, aided in large part by the move indoors through the use of refrigerated ice. MCC relocated to Riverside Park in 1915, where two covered sheets of ice provided a fixed home for the next 55 years. In 1970, the club built a four sheet curling shed and clubhouse located at Ozaukee Country Club in Mequon, Wisconsin, until 2012. The new facility now moves into a five sheet facility located at the Ozaukee County fairgrounds to begin the fall season in 2012.
Today, Milwaukee Curling Club is the oldest curling club in continual existence in the United States.
Milwaukee Curling Club is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media