The Dodge County Historical Society, an affiliate of the Wisconsin State Historical Society, was formed in 1938, for the preservation of articles pertaining to pioneer days and to the early history of Beaver Dam.
The museum was located on the second floor of the Concert Hall in a room, which for several years prior to the building of the City Hall, served as a council chamber. The acquisitions of the society grew rapidly and additional room on the same floor was provided. Many articles were reconditioned at the headquarters of the State Wide Museum Project, Milwaukee, a branch of the WPA.
In 1985, the city of Beaver Dam leased the former Williams Free Library building to the Dodge County Historical Society.