The Capitol Civic Centre, Inc., established in 1987, resides in what was built by the George Brothers and operated as the Ascher Brother’s Capitol Theatre, opening on June 16, 1921.
The elegant theatre, lovingly referred to as “The Jewel of the Lakeshore”, presently serves as home to several local performing arts organizations, as well as national professional tours, arts education activities, and civic events.
The value of the Capitol reaches beyond providing a home for performing arts. The Centre is a prime example of the economic value of historic preservation. The Capitol serves as an anchor for activity in the heart of historic downtown Manitowoc, the Manitowoc County seat. More than 60,000 people attend performances and activities at the Capitol each year.